The quality of the bed where we sleep is so important that the American Sleep Foundation (NSF) recommends sleeping on a good quality mattress in a cool, quiet and dark environment, free of noise and other distractions.
The bed must be associated psychologically with the activities of sleep and sex, not for dinner, watching television, working on the computer or doing homework.
Recommendations for choosing a good bed
A third of our life takes place in bed. Something as important as sleep disturbances are not only a matter of quantity, but also of quality. Therefore, in Salud180.com we give you 7 tips to choose a good bed:
1. Do not skimp on the purchase of a good mattress, a good base and a good pillow.
2. To the mattress, it should be changed every 10 years. Take into account the punctual elasticity of the mattress: the base must yield without excess under the parts with more weight of the body (shoulders and pelvis), offering at the same time a firm support for the less heavy areas.
3. A new mattress on an old base or poor quality is damaged before, it is best to renew the rest equipment completely. A good mattress is the one that supports the entire spine when lying on your back.
Latex mattresses, more expensive and durable, contain millions of small holes that allow the body to breathe. They are also hypoallergenic.
4. The ideal thickness of the mattress is at least 15 centimeters; the length, 10 centimeters more than the height of who will sleep in it and the minimum recommended width, 80 centimeters for a single bed and 135 centimeters for a double.
5. The base or canape must be firm and uniform. Opt for one of rigid or semi-rigid sheets, with free spaces that allow good ventilation.
6. The pillow should adapt to the volume of our head, the length of the neck and the width of the shoulders.
7. If you usually sleep on your back, the pillow should be low and soft, to ensure that the cervical spine forms the same angle with the spine as when standing. If the preferred sleeping position is on the side, the pillow should be high and hard, to keep the neck on the dorsal column axis, making sure it does not fall or rotate.
The filling should not be too soft or too hard; it must have the necessary firmness to prevent the head from falling backwards.
When buying a best kids bed, compare the years of warranty offered by each mattress manufacturer. Keep in mind that this is an important expense and an article that should last at least a decade.